Helpful Things

Friday, December 2, 2011

Scarves for Skeletons / Chocolate Chess Pie

Damn it! My tree is still nekkid! It's driving me insane. Ah well, we can't win them all. I refuse to decorate it without Syd though. Hmph.

As I mentioned before, I'm now on Facebook, to make it easier to post silly things I find here and there for your holiday enjoyment. I'm compiling at present time a Christmas music playlist full of what I can bear to listen to.

I made a few snowflakes, but I decided that I really hated doing it after all, because it cramped up my hand and wasted what I feel is a lot of paper. I'm now searching for other ways to decorate my house. I have twenty-five days to get partially obsessive about this.

I have decided that I will knit new scarves for the battered plastic skeletons that hang from our outside lights. They are there year-round, and are missing body parts, but they're so much like family that Syd and I don't have the heart really to take them down. Syd I think is particularly attached to our anatomy and physiology welcome. I have this red yarn split by green and gold--fabulous--so I'll knit simple garter-stitch scarves for them, only about a foot long at maximum, and add tassels. Hah. Take that, Martha Stewart.

I need to share something amazing with you, because this happened to me three times over Thanksgiving and I was unbelievably grateful each time: pie.

Chocolate Chess Pie, that is.

This is a very simple pie recipe and it turns out wholly amazing. Syd made a total of three over Thanksgiving and each one was better than the last. I'm not sure of the origin of this recipe, but when I find out, if I find out, I'll be sure to mutter it somewhere to someone at some point.

You will need:

2 eggs
One 5 oz can of evaporated milk
4 tbs. butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tbs baking cocoa
1 unbaked 9 in. pastry shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk wet ingredients until well blended. Mix sugar and cocoa, then blend with wet ingredients. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a butter knife poked into the middle comes out clean. And for all that is good and holy wait a while for it to cool because it is seriously hot and you will burn your mouth off. Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!