Helpful Things

Thursday, December 1, 2011

1:53 AM

1:53 AM.

"So that's why you have to help me," I said.

Syd, wild-eyed and fresh in from second shift, was spreading sour cream and nacho cheese over a flour tortilla. She did it very deliberately. Before this she had slowly and carefully constructed a pan of apple dumplings, which were baking in the oven.

When she didn't answer, I prompted her. "Decorate the Christmas tree."

Finally, she said, "Oh."

"Because I can't do it on my own, it's not right."

She chewed thoughtfully, seeming to consider the nacho cheese which was in a jar and somewhat shifty to my palate.

"Please?"

She swallowed and checked the dumplings.

I had probably pestered her about it more than was necessary. I tried a different approach. "We can do it...tomorrow?"

Immediately I received a look of intense relief. "Yes, that would be good."

(baby steps, small little tiny baby steps)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!