Helpful Things

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Uh Hi

Ehhhn, I'm sorry. I've been neglectful and avoiding and oh-my-god-my-hands-have-been-knitted-nearly-into-bits. I get into phases where I am wholly consumed by the want to knit all the things, and I start sorting through the stash yarn with masochistic glee. Can I knit that? No, I can't knit that, that is being saved. Can't knit that, there's not enough of that, but I can swatch it for later. MUST knit this, it has been waiting for something but I can't knit it now because I don't want to give it away. Ugh, screw it, I have to go get more yarn.

That is how Syd and I ended up at Michael's again. She needed to buy umber paints for a portrait she was commissioned to make and I needed to not zoom around like a child and put things in her basket. So I followed her to the paint aisle and nodded and smiled when she showed me her earth tones, and then she led us to the yarn aisle, which was dangerous. I went straight to the sock yarn.

You see, I have recently upgraded my knitting skill by +9. I have learned to knit in the round.

And therefore I have completely eradicated the need to seam or purl in stockinette stitch ever again. This is so much joyful I don't even.

Knitting jargon aside this has jump-started my ability to knit complex projects--and knit with sock yarn! This is like the coolest thing ever. Ever since Syd started hoarding sock yarn skein after sock yarn skein I have been salivating and wringing my greedy little hands over all of the colors. Sometimes I go pet the Malabrigo. I can't help myself.

Now I can knit in a small gauge and the world of cabled knitting projects has suddenly been open to me. I am enlightened. I have arrived at Knitting Valhalla.

So my Christmas present list has suddenly gotten very long. I hate that I decided to do this to myself two weeks from Christmas. During a project I'm already trying to keep up with but avoiding because I haven't actually made the crafty thing I was supposed to make because of yarn. Oh the yarn.

However, there is a bright side: a very good friend of mine has offered to save my lazy ass by writing a guest post about her Most Awesome Christmas Tree. I am really excited to see it, and I hope you are, too. All 8 of you.

For now, please enjoy a complimentary video of Mormons looking like Mormons:



Also: I discovered this while uploading pics of my decorated Christmas tree up at the blog's Facebook page (which you should like if you haven't yet, Scrooge)...



(dawwww)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!