Helpful Things

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Corned Beef Hash w/ Eggs

Here and there I'll be featuring a few dinner ideas that take simple and cheap ingredients and form awesome. True to our severely lazy form, these "recipes" won't take a lot of work, they're tasty, and the ingredients are super effin' cheap, for those with very little pocket money.

Tonight, I tried to make corned beef hash, but Syd herded me out of the kitchen and made it. So I hovered around and took pictures. And ate the result.

A can of corned beef hash will cost less than $1.50 at Save-A-Lot. Fry it up with a quarter of an onion, diced, in a skillet or a pan or something. But not a soup pot, like I tried to do. Uhh...it should look like the least appealing food ever:



I swear, for a $1.50 can of hash, it's delicious. Season it well with garlic salt OR Cavender's, to taste. It needs salty.

Then make eggs. Fried eggs are Syd's favorite.



Then roll up some cheap-o crescent rolls and stick them in the oven for however long at however hot the label tells you. Then put it all on a plate and eat it.

Toast also works--toast up some bread and cut into bits, put in a bowl, and cover with the hash. Voila, a canned hash version of Shit On A Shingle.

--

Easy dinners that don't take a great deal of work and aren't particularly good for you are the best kind of winter food. Syd and I hoard canned foods and other non-perishables for the cold season; I am continuously amazed at my roommate's ability to craft dinner out of whatever is lying around.

Hooray, ingenuity.

(Christmas Tree vs. Cats update: I plugged in the lights for the first time in a year--they still work!--and brought out the tree skirt. So far the cats have left it alone. I still don't believe it. This is too good to be true.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!