Helpful Things

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Perhaps I'm A Little Excited

Since I got out the Christmas tree I have been experiencing an odd phenomenon that some holiday obsessive people call the "Christmas spirit". But I refuse to refer to it like that--I'm not in "the spirit" yet. I am derisively training cats on a Christmas tree and slowly pulling out decorations in preparation for December. That's all I'm doing.

So what if I pulled out the tree skirt and put it in place, or agonized over where I was going to put the stockings (unfortunately, the traditional mantlepiece is not an option), or lovingly refurbished my door wreath so that it didn't look like it had been squashed in storage all year? Honestly. I have not hit the Christmas spirit mile marker yet. When I have, I'll be singing Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC and putting popcorn garlands on anything that will stand still.

That's when you know shit's hitting the fan.

--

Next week is Thanksgiving, a holiday that I love. Celebrations in our family last from Thursday to Sunday--that is going to be a lot of turkey. Ohh, the turkey. I loves the turkey.

But everyone knows what happens directly after Thanksgiving--sometimes as early as just after Thanksgiving Thursday:

CHRISTMASTIEM FOR REALS YO

I've been gathering material from family and friends to share here, and will continue to do so in order to have some neat Appalachian (unemployed) Christmas surprises. So far you can look forward to such cooking treats as how to make Granny's Popcorn Balls, sugary divinity, and the Best Chicken Soup You Ever Put In Your Face. I may also convince my roommate to divulge a version of her super-secret hot chocolate recipe.

Craft ideas include a series on handmade Christmas tree ornaments for all ages (except the baby age), affordable ideas for handmade gifts, and a whole lot of stocking stuffer suggestions. There will be pictures, cats, and a roommate being shanghai'd into brewing up warm drinky things.

Also experiments in potpourri! With any luck the house should still be standing by the start of December.

Stay tuned. Tonight I will bring you the Best Chicken Soup You Ever Put In Your Face.



[sign reads: Door-to-door Evangelists and other ne'er do wells are advised and instructed to GO THE HELL AWAY and BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!